What to wear for your Spring family photo shoot | Northampton family photographer
Spring & Summer brings the arrival of floral blooms, warmer weather and also the perfect excuse to finally book your outdoor family photo shoot. Once you have chosen the type of photography you love the most and secured a spot with your chosen photographer you might wonder how to choose your family’s wardrobe for the day.
As a full service family photographer covering Northampton and surrounding counties, it’s part of my job help with outfit choices. Now, I’m far from the most style conscious person in the world (or even Northamptonshire!) but I can promise you I have learnt & picked up some awesome knowledge on how to dress for lifestyle photography! And I am always on hand to give my clients extra guidance to suit their personalities where needed. In the meantime, I’ve compiled these helpful tips & inspiration on how to dress your family to look great in photos this Spring so you will be super proud to display your images on your walls & fall in love every time you look at them!
Where To Start
1) Begin with dressing mum OR if you have a picky child choose their outfit first then work everyone else’s around that.
2) Opt for EITHER bold colours (for example red, yellow & navy) OR pastels (for example a powder blue/spring yellow/shell pink combo).
3) Choose a colour palette of 2 or 3 accenting colours.
4) Team your chosen colour palette with neutrals tones. These are: grey, cream, beige, navy, black & white.
1) Be authentically YOU. Choose clothes that you feel good in and be sure that everyone is comfortable in what they wear.
2) Layer items such as jumpers, cardigans, scarves, gilettes, jackets. Accessorise with bows, necklaces and cute hats. Add beautiful details with textures such as lace or ruffles.
3) Clothes that have movement in them such as a flowy maxi dress or skirt for the mums & daughters work can create magic in images. Long hair worn down has the same effect.
4) Don’t be afraid of patterns or florals. You can use one member of the family who carries a pattern in their outfit that the rest of the group’s clothing or accessories pulls from, while keeping everyone else’s outfits more simple. Just be sure if you wear patterns that they don’t clash.
1) Avoid logos, text or images on t-shirts or other clothing at all costs. They will distract from your important connections & general gorgeousness and will produce dated images.
2) Fluorescents reflect glare & don’t fare well in photos. And small stripes such as pinstripe can come out crazy in photos and can ruin your images.
3) Don’t go matchy-matchy. There’s nothing more cringe-worthy than a shot of an entire family kitted out in denim or everyone wearing white t-shirts. Think natural; co-ordinate, don’t match.
4) Try to keep blacks & bright whites to a minimum to avoid large black/white blocks in your photos. Be sure if you wear patterns that they don’t clash.
As you can see, your wardrobe choices for your photo shoot are really important and can influence the entire look and feel of an image. Every texture, colour and layer adds depth and dimension and aids the creation of beautiful images. And this can also be used as another opportunity to show off your personalities which helps the photos to be personal and one of a kind – just like you!
When looking for clothes you don’t need to break the bank, though. Instead, raid your drawers for items you could use and if you really feel you need some extra bits to make it really special then there’s no need to break the bank. Also, make sure that you will wear what you buy after the shoot and opt for timeless staple pieces. If you know the palette you want you can pick up stuff cheaply at Primark, New Look, H&M or Amazon. Also, why not shop pre-loved from eBay or Shpock – it makes searching for your chosen colours or patterns extra simple.
You can learn more about the experience you will have with me by hitting the button below.
Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this post join the Glimpses Inner Circle for more awesome stuff once or twice a month straight to your inbox. Simply pop your details in the subscribe box below for the goodies!